Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Read the Bible

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2010/02/22/william-ingram-even-atheists-should-read-the-bible.aspx

I disagree with the last line about the Bible being a great book though I do agree with the main point of the article. I’ve heard people who say the Bible is a good book full of lessons on how to live one’s life only to say right after that they haven’t actually read the Bible. The Bible is an important book in Western history and should be read and understood by everyone. We all need to interpret it for ourselves rather than have others tell us what to think. Non-believers wanting to be critical of Christianity need to understand its view point, the Bible is the best source for that view point. Similarly, I am reading the Quran. As I said to my mother, if I am going to be critical of the faith I need a better understanding of the faith.

Confession, I have not read the Bible from front to back. I have read the majority of the four gospels and have studied it from various sources including Sunday school back in my Church going days. I certainly have more knowledge of it than I currently have of the Quran. I promise now to read through the Bible once I finish with the Quran. I encourage anyone who has not read the books, believer or non-believer, to go do so as well.

No comments: