Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Getting Tough

Obama is looking to get tough on obstructionist Republicans. It’s about time. If there is any hope (pardon the pun) for reform, Obama needs to move from simply saying that there is obstruction going on, to calling out, by name, those who are seeking only to block his reforms rather than work towards a meaningful compromise.

“Obama is basically angling to call the bluff of Republicans who he believes have done nothing but stand in opposition to his proposals on revamping the U.S. healthcare system and stimulating the economy”

Bipartisanship is a nice idea. The ideal that all proponents of democracy should work towards. Unfortunately, not everyone in Washington believes in that ideal. Therefore, it becomes necessary to confront those whose actions are driven by strict ideology. The key is rooting out who is willing to work with you, which is what Obama appears to be doing.
"I told my Republican friends I want to work together with them where I can -- and I meant it," Obama said at a Democratic event on Thursday. "And I told them I will also call them out if they say they want to work on something then when I offer a hand, I get nothing in return"
This statement is a direct appeal to Republicans who want to work with the President to pass meaningful reform and a warning to those who do not.
I think Obama’s next step has to be to take the undoubtedly risky move of confronting obstructionists in the Democrat Party. Those leaning towards the left who are more interested in opposing Obama’s attempts to reach out to the centre.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6160PJ20100207

No comments: