Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympian Proves He's a Moron

http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/BPnews.asp?ID=32367

I don’t often hear news about fundamentalist Christians here in Canada but, as it turns out one of our very own Olympians gave an interview to Baptist Press recently spouting out the typical fundamentalist ideas.

“I've had atheists on my team and they have no problem talking to God before the run," Rush said. "Everybody likes it. Even the atheists, for instance, they like how it sets the tone. We all come together and I pray about things that they want, too. Maybe they're not in a period of their life where they believe in God, I guess. I don't know. I don't really believe in atheists."

I can’t speak for these “atheists” so I don’t know what’s going through their minds, maybe they simply believe in being kind and respectful to their fellow man. They also likely understand that in a team support you can’t have divisions that could negatively affect your performance. However, I’m not on that team so I don’t have to worry about keeping my thoughts to myself. How can one not believe in atheists?

“Rush may not believe in atheists (choosing instead to believe what Romans 1 says about all men knowing the truth but suppressing it in unrighteousness), but he does believe in his responsibility to share his faith with everyone, including atheists.”

We are not suppressing the truth. We have examined the evidence and through it we see that this world and ourselves came to being without the assistance of a creator. Rush defines atheists when he says they don’t believe in God followed by saying he doesn’t believe in atheists. Someone needs to explain to Rush that he did in fact define what an atheist is. There are people who do not believe in God, we do exist.

I should say that from reading the interview Rush seems like a decent guy, his intentions don’t appear to be as sinister as his American counterparts. His misunderstanding of the nature of atheists though is rather frustrating.

No comments: