Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wrong but Friendly

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/content?oid=1413226

Ron Vanderwell explains his doubts over the atheist position but he does it in such a friendly manner. Therefore, I apologize in advance if it seems as though I’m kicking too hard:

“But I’ve got to respect people who are committed to that faith. It’s inspiring to watch someone stake everything on something they can’t prove. It’s pretty ballsy, actually.

Most atheists would never brag about it, of course—which I respect—but theirs really is a gutsy kind of faith. After all, how could anybody ever prove that God wasn’t there?”

I can turn that statement right around and ask Vanderwell how he plans to prove God’s existence? I guess the debate between theism and atheism is simply one of ballsiness?

“Throughout history, people have always bought into the idea that someone “bigger” was in charge. Granted, we could never quite agree on just who or what that bigger-than-us entity was (think of the Crusades, for instance). But whatever brand name people might choose, everyone agreed that there was someone or something. This works for me. I look up at the night stars at Emigrant Gap, and those galaxies sure don’t look like an accident. Seems like it’d be hard to be an atheist outdoors.”

Sure, the idea that someone “bigger” is in charge works for Vanderwell and many others but, that doesn’t make them right. When I look at the galaxies I don’t think, “Wow they look like an accident”. First off, basing an idea on how something looks is bad science. Second, I think, “Isn’t it amazing that the laws of nature of created such beauty? Of course, that’s what we perceive from here on Earth. The reality is that there is so much chaos in this universe.”

“During recent centuries, some academics have concluded that those stars are really just accidents. Evolution, it’s called.”

Stars have nothing to do with evolution, moving on.

“Maybe I’m too uptight about the whole science thing. But think about it: The best science of the day produced the flat Earth theory.”

We can thank the Bible for giving us the flat Earth theory.

“Then, later, the better science of the day produced the round Earth theory. (Note: At press time, the Earth was still round.)”

The nature of science is that if you find evidence that debunks the current theory and provides you with a new theory, you go with the better theory.

“How does it feel to be such a minority? How do you shore up your faith on the days when you suspect that maybe you were put here for a reason?”

At times being an atheist can be frustrating. Mostly when listening to fundamentalists who are just plain wrong. Of course, I often say that theists shouldn’t be offended because faith is a choice, they choose to be offended. It works the same way for us atheists. We have to expect that not everyone will hold our position of non-belief. Vanderwell’s ideas are wrong but he comes off as friendly when expressing his views. He fits into that group of theists who you wouldn’t mind having a discussion with. Do I think I’m here for a reason? Well, on a purely biological level I’m here to eat, sleep and, mate. As for being put here. I wasn’t “put” here by any sort of higher power but, I am here and while I’m here I might as well make the most of it.

No comments: